We view music as an essential element in a balanced education, allowing personal expression, personal development, creativity and real practical involvement in the arts. Students gain confidence, skills and an appreciation of each other's talents.
Please explore these pages to find out more about what we offer.
Our aims are:
We have 2 members of staff in the department as well as visiting instrumental teachers.
The music area comprises of a well equipped teaching room and an instrumental teaching room.
The two main music rooms are equipped with 10 Yamaha MM6 synthesizers with USB and internet capability and 10 PC's running Sibelius 7 and other score writing packages, enabling students to record, edit and print out compositions of professional quality. The interactive whiteboard is in use during all lessons and is a fantastic resource tool, bringing the world of music into the classroom.
We regularly produce concerts in the Academy and students are invited to perform at recitals and concerts in the wider community.
In the classroom wall space is positively used to create informative and stimulating displays that reflect modern practices, support the projects and create an expectation for achievement.
Key Stage 3
All students follow a varied programme of music which involves performing, composing and listening. Each half term students work on a different musical topic. These are updated regularly, are stimulating and involve all students being involved in music making each lesson. Topics currently include: Basic musical theory and introduction to keyboard skills and the reading of music, Film Music, The Voice, Caribbean Music, Samba, African Drumming, The Blues, Jazz Music, Popular Classics and 1960's Popular Music.
Key Stage 4
Students have the opportunity to continue their music studies at GCSE level, following the AQA specification. Performing and composing accounts for 60% of the final mark, with the final listening exam being the remaining 40%.
Instrumental / Vocal Examinations
Students that are taking singing or instrumental lessons are encouraged to work towards grade exams with ABRSM, Trinity Guildhall or London College.
This group of musicians meet once a week to rehearse for concerts. All students who play a brass or woodwind instrument are encouraged to come along. Students develop skills in this setting that they do not get by just attending a lesson each week. It is also much more fun to perform in a larger group. Throughout the year they perform at three concerts and go on a summer tour around the junior schools.
Somercotes Chamber Strings
This group of violinists rehearse each week with their violin teacher. They also regularly perform at concerts. This year they have been once again invited to perform at the Royal Albert Hall, for the Barnardos Charity Event. They also compete in local festivals.
Members of this group also meet once a week under the direction of the string teacher. They also play in a number of concerts as well as the Carol Service and Christmas Victorian Fayre at All Saints Church, Waltham.
This is open to anyone that enjoys singing in a group. Students from year 7 to 11 are involved. There is always opportunity for students to take on solo parts in the concerts.
Students studying guitar at Somercotes enjoy meeting up on a Monday at 3:15 to learn new songs and play as a group.
This group meet once a week and participate in concerts. Most players also perform with the Tollbar Band. The group is open to any student playing a brass instrument.
Inter House Music Competition
This takes place during January each year. It is open to any student in year 7 – 11 that can play an instrument or sing a song. It doesn't matter if you have grade 8 or have taken no exams at all, anyone can represent their tutor group.
Visits to shows and workshops
Performing Arts students have attended dance workshops with the Northern Contemporary Dance Company, in partnership with students at Cleethorpes Academy. This year the performing arts students visited Hull New Theatre to watch a production of 'Blood Brothers' by Willy Russell.
We also invite professional musicians in to the Academy to perform to students throughout the year.
GCSE Music provides a good basis for studying Music at higher level.
A Level music is suitable for students wishing to follow a career in music and leads into the many different courses offered in university departments and music conservatoires.